- This program has passed.
Everything You Need to Know about Grand Juries in Massachusetts
Tuesday, June 16, 2020|3:30 pm - 5:00 pm UTC
Click the button below to download a copy of the program materials. The file will open in a new window.
File Size: 1519 KB
Moderators: Hon. Jeffrey A. Locke (Superior Court), Hon. Kathe M. Tuttman (Superior Court), and Hon. Robert L. Ullmann (Superior Court)
This program is geared both to newer Superior Court judges, who would like to learn more about how the grand jury operates and how judges oversee the grand jury, and experienced Superior Court judges who want to better understand recent developments in the law and best practices. The program will cover the role and function of the grand jury, judicial control over the grand jury, and challenges to indictments based on grand jury matters. Some specific topics include:
- Judicial role in impanelment and day-to-day operation of the grand jury.
- Hearsay and exculpatory evidence in the grand jury.
- Judicial role when witnesses assert the privilege vs. self-incrimination.
- Challenges to alleged impairment of the grand jury’s integrity.
- Recent developments in the law in challenges to alleged inadequate instructions to the grand jury.
Since this program will be an interactive discussion, participation will be limited to 20 Superior Court Judges. In the event that the program is over-subscribed, preference will be given to newer judges