- This program has passed.
Complex Issues in Murder Cases
Friday, March 11, 2016 | 9:00am - 4:30pm UTC
- Superior Court Judge Linda E. Giles, Chair
- Superior Court Judge Kenneth J. Fishman
- Superior Court Judge Frank M. Gaziano
- Superior Court Judge Peter B. Krupp
- ADA Lynn Beland, Norfolk County DA’s Office
- Christopher W. Kelly, Director, MA Attorney General’s Office Digital Evidence Lab
- ADA Mark Lee, Suffolk County DA’s Office
- ADA Adrienne C. Lynch, Middlesex County DA’s Office
- Attorney David E. Meier
- Attorney Rosemary C. Scapicchio
- Attorney Robert L. Sheketoff
- Attorney Larry Tipton, CPCS
“Complex Issues in Murder Cases” focuses on the most difficult areas of a murder trial, with comprehensive analysis from all perspectives. You will gain powerful, timely insights from leading practitioners, both prosecutors and defense attorneys, and a forensic expert regarding how to tackle these problematic issues. Judicial commentary and reflection from four veteran Superior Court judges will give you an inside look at how judges view these demanding aspects of a murder trial.
Four crucial topics will be covered during the program through presentation, discussion, demonstrations, and mock hearings: pretrial evidentiary and empanelment issues (e.g., motions in limine, gang evidence issues, in-court identification issues, and individual juror voir dire), cyber components in murder cases (e.g., mining mobile devices, decryption issues, CSLI, GPS, and the circumstances under which a warrant is required), forensic experts and evidence (e.g., Confrontation Clause issues, the reliability of an expert to testify regarding hearsay, and the proper foundations and form of expert opinion evidence), and special issues on jury instructions and juveniles (e.g., proposed changes to the SJC Model Homicide Instruction, recent new jury instructions (including NGI, in-court eyewitness identification, felony-murder joint venture, and reasonable doubt), and the issue of whether to instruct on juvenile brain development).
This sophisticated program is critical for judges, prosecutors, defense lawyers, homicide investigators, and forensic experts. It will provide you with a unique opportunity to benefit from the experience and expertise of seasoned judges, attorneys, and experts who have grappled with these complex issues.