- This program has passed.
Best Practices in Managing Civil Bench Trials
Tuesday, May 5, 2015 | 9:30am - 3:30pm UTC
District Court Judge Mark S. Coven
Retired Appeals Court Justice William I. Cowin
Superior Court Judge Daniel A. Ford
Land Court Judge Robert B. Foster
Juvenile Court Judge Dana M. Gershengorn
Probate and Family Court Judge Barbara M. Hyland
Land Court Judge Gordon H. Piper
Superior Court Judge Paul D. Wilson
Housing Court Judge Jeffrey M. Winik
This full-day program will cover a number of important issues that arise when judges adjudicate both matters of fact and law during civil bench trials. Participants will discuss trial tips with our experienced panel, as well as the judge’s role as gatekeeper. The following topics will be covered:
- What is the appropriate role of a judge?
- Managing self-represented parties
- Oral/Written Findings
- Dealing with Contempt
- Daubert-Lanigan matters
- Handling Digital Evidence, Expert Witnesses, Requests for Admissions, etc.
Afternoon breakout sessions will afford judges the opportunity to exchange ideas with colleagues. Discussion topics to include:
- How to try a Chapter 93A Case
- Current Issues in Care and Protection, Custody, and Termination of Parental Rights
- Trial of Zoning and/or Title Cases
Don’t miss this interactive and informative program!