- This program has passed.
Assessing Competency and Responsibility in Criminal Cases
Tuesday, May 26, 2015|4:30 pm - 6:30 pm UTC
Judges: Please login to download a copy of the program materials.
Click the button below to download a copy of the program materials. The file will open in a new window.
Size: 2 MB
Co-Sponsored with the Social Law Library
Hon. Thomas A. Connors
Superior Court (Chair)
Hon. Robert C. Cosgrove
Hon. Kenneth J. Fishman
Debra A. Pinals, M.D.
Assistant Commissioner, Forensic Services, Department of Mental Health
This bench/bar program will present the intricacies of dealing with mental-health issues at both pre-trial and trial. Topics will include:
- How judges address competency issues within the statutory framework
- How clinicians assess issues of competency and of assertion at trial of impaired mental capacity
- Practical Considerations in Dealing with Competency Issues, including the Consequences of an Incompetency Finding
- Pretrial Procedures relating to Evaluations of a Defendant’s Mental Condition at the Time of the Crime Alleged
- Trial Issues in Cases Involving Evidence of Defendant’s Lack of Criminal Responsibility or Mental Impairment